Re: no text dispalyed to a toolbar button widget

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 22:23, MichÃle Garoche wrote:
Le jeudi, 31 juil 2003, Ã 01:13 Europe/Paris, Owen Taylor a Ãcrit :

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 17:50, MichÃle Garoche wrote:
Le mercredi, 30 juil 2003, Ã 18:55 Europe/Paris, GÃnther Rapp a Ãcrit
:

I have a problem to add text to a toolbar
doing this  code it works
all works fine until the (gchar *) title variable has special german
character
like   Ã  Ã   Ã.  If such characters are inside the title no text is
displayed
under the button.
If you have an editor which can save the source file as UTF-8
encodings, you're done. Otherwise you have to encode any character
other than pure ASCII with UTF-8 encodings, such as:
&#x0f6 for Ã, &#x0e4 for Ã, &#x0fc for Ã.

Note that the question was about Red Hat 7.2 and GTK+-1.2, so I
don't think UTF-8 is involved. (I don't have any guesses as
to what the problem actually is.)
Well, that's true, but I've solved the problem on a Mac by encoding the
source file as Windows Latin Western for gtk+-1.2 and UTF-8 for
gtk+-2.0. I have no idea why I should encode as Windows Latin Western
for gtk+-1.2.

GTK+-1.2 uses the encoding of the locale; it will probably never
be "Windows Latin Western", but it is frequently iso-8859-1 or
iso-8859-15 which are quit similar to that.

It's completely dependent on the operating system and user's
environment, however. For instance, on Red Hat 8 or 9, the
default encoding for French is UTF-8, so GTK+-1.2 would want
UTF-8 text. (The fact that GTK+-2.x is always UTF-8 makes
things much simpler for programmers.)

Theoretically on OS/X the encoding of the locale is UTF-8, always,
but quite likely the XFree86 port to OS/X doesn't get that right;
the chances of someone correctly understanding OS/X, XFree86,
*and* charset encodings is tiny.

Regards,
                                        Owen