Re: no text dispalyed to a toolbar button widget

Michèle Garoche schrieb:

Le jeudi, 31 juil 2003, à 01:13 Europe/Paris, Owen Taylor a écrit :

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 17:50, Michèle Garoche wrote:
Le mercredi, 30 juil 2003, à 18:55 Europe/Paris, Günther Rapp a écrit
:

I have a problem to add text to a toolbar
doing this  code it works
all works fine until the (gchar *) title variable has special german
character
like   ö  ä   ü.  If such characters are inside the title no text is
displayed
under the button.
If you have an editor which can save the source file as UTF-8
encodings, you're done. Otherwise you have to encode any character
other than pure ASCII with UTF-8 encodings, such as:
&#x0f6 for ö, &#x0e4 for ä, &#x0fc for ü.

Note that the question was about Red Hat 7.2 and GTK+-1.2, so I
don't think UTF-8 is involved. (I don't have any guesses as
to what the problem actually is.)
Well, that's true, but I've solved the problem on a Mac by encoding the
source file as Windows Latin Western for gtk+-1.2 and UTF-8 for
gtk+-2.0. I have no idea why I should encode as Windows Latin Western
for gtk+-1.2.

It works for all accented characters I've tried (i.e all from French,
Spanish, and German languages). So, maybe it could work or something
similar on Red Hat.

The problem is not new we had simular errors creating ncurses menu
dialogs.
There the problem was solved by changing the text after the menu has
been created.
There it looks like assigning a string with non ASCII characters will
have problems to be
NULL terminated in a copy function.
I would try to do this in the same way with the toolbar text first
assigning standard string
and than exchange with my special characters, but I found no structure
definition of the toolbar
item  to assign to stucture element with   gtk_entry_set_text  with a
pointer referenz like to a
combo widget.

best regard
günther