RE: Language characters

The german most certainly is encoded correctly in UTF8! not
only did the

It wasn't in the example you posted - that used ISO Latin-1
(or 9).  So
you fixed it?  Good.

I have found out why the GtkTextView was complaining about invalid UTF8 when
I had already verified it.  It was a stupid case of iterating over a
character array and expecting each character to be represented by a byte.
Doh!!

As for the chinese characters to being shown, I spoke to a mate who uses the
chinese characters, and he seemed to think that unless you install them (in
this case in the Red Hat install) then they will not be supported.  Either
way they are not supported in other gnome application's like GEdit (so I
expect this is the case).

Thanks again.

Regards,
Martyn