getting the widget font

Hi all,
Currently i use this code to get the font for a widget:

  gchar *fnt = NULL;
  GtkWidget *foo = gtk_text_view_new ();
  fnt = pango_font_description_to_string (foo->style->font_desc);
  gtk_widget_destroy (foo);
  return fnt;

However i always get Sans 10 though my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 contains Tahoma and
the text displayed is using the Tahoma font.
Is there any known way to get the font ?
I've tried:

GtkRcStyle *style;
gchar *fnt = NULL;
GtkWidget *foo = gtk_text_view_new();
style = gtk_widget_get_modifier_style(foo);

but style->font_desc is NULL

Any ideas please ?

Best regards,

--