Re: New Project?

Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
Hello,

I now want to know how to start a project from scratch, from the beginning, how to go on and more and more. So now I have got a few questions:

What is the first thing to do?

Read the make, autoconf, automake, and libtool manuals:
  http://www.gnu.org/manual/manual.html
Also print the libc manual.

Read the goat book (GNU Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578701902/qid%3D1057937985/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-9417560-2249647

Also useful:
Texinfo:
  http://www.gnu.org/doc/book9.html
Make:
  http://www.gnu.org/doc/book8.html
CVS:
  http://www.network-theory.co.uk/cvs/manual/

It could be useful to get a cheap laser printer of ebay;)

How do I create a autogen.sh script? Is that always the same? Do I have to write it by myselfe or can I copy it from somewhere?

What are the important things to write into a configure.in file?
What are the important things to write into a Makefile.am?

Is there _one_ tutorial includeing all this things, where I can see how to start and so on?

What are the differences in configure.in files, between gtk and gtkmm?

What do I have to use in my config.h file? Is all of the config.h file created from configure.in (via autoheader)?

Ok, I had some more questions, I'll ask you when the come into my mind again.

Understanding and starting with the packaging system (autotools) can take
quite a while to get the hang of;)

If you haven't done much programming, make something stand-alone that
doesn't use any of the packaging tools. When you're better at it, have
a go at packaging it.