gdk_window_foreign_new problems

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with gdk_window_foreign_new with a small test program
before attempting to use it in a larger project. The test program
creates an X window using XCreateSimpleWindow, and then uses
gdk_window_foreign_new to get a GdkWindow for it. Unfortunately the
result of gdk_window_foreign_new is NULL. According to the docs at
gtk.org, a result of NULL means that the window has been destroyed. I am
able, however, to draw on this window using standard X calls that occur
after the gdk_window_foreign_new call, so I don't see how that could be
the case.

The documentation for this function is quite brief. What problems could
be preventing me from getting a GdkWindow* from this function call?

Thanks.

James.