Re: Gtk1.2, font names and Win32

Richard Jones writes:
In Linux I'm using these two fonts:
"-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-140-*"
"-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-100-*"

These fonts don't exist on Windows,

You should use complete XLFDs. The code that parses font names doesn't
like incomplete XLFDs. Also, did you really mean a 140 pixel high
font? You have "140" in the "pixel size" field. Presumably you mean 14
points, and what you want is
-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-*-*-*-* .

(Even if you don't have a real Helvetica, the gdk/win32 code replaces
the name "helvetica" with "arial" and tries again if Helvetica isn't
found as such. Actually, I think Windows might do the same itself, so
that code path in gdk/win32 might be unnecessary.)

"-*-tahoma-medium-r-normal-*-140-*"

but there are no other sized "tahoma" fonts I can find for the small

font (is there a way to list all fonts on Windows, as in 'xlsfonts'?)

Look in the Control Panel... Note that GTK uses only TrueType fonts,
so they are available at any size you ask for.

Again, preferrably use full XLFDs, and watch carefully what size it is
that you try to specify. -*-tahoma-medium-r-normal--*-140-*-*-*-*-*-*
should work.

--tml