Re: Mplayer Bonoboized: lumiere (gstreamer - standardization)

I think duplication at the desktop level is the same kind of problem, but a
smaller one in some areas, and a larger one in others. I think it is a
smaller problem in that there are only two "major" desktops with their own
widget sets and libraries, whereas there are many more than two media
players with different frameworks. Putting together a system that runs the
maximum number of graphical applications is a matter of installing two
desktops.

Actually, I don't believe this to be the case. I use KDE and do all of my
developement work in GTK+. All of the Gnome apps I use (Gnumeric pops to
mind) work great. I just had to load the proper libraries. But this is true
of any application that makes use of a library that is not installed in your
system. Or .dll files in the M$ Win environment. And personally, I believe
that maximum amounts of diversity are great for the user base. I have quite a
number of applications on my system which do the same job, generally with
about the same results. The one I use depends on the mood I'm in. As for a
centralized framework for multimedia apps, you're trying to take the approach
of "being everything to everyone". I have never seen any, repeat any,
application, system, process, etc. where this works very well. It usually
ends up being a complete cluster <exp delete>. Witness M$ windows. It does
everything half-arsed, and nothing well.
My little rant on the subject,
Jeffrey