Re: A batch of newbie questions.

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 10:06:27PM +0000, ' ' wrote:

I really like glade from what I've seen so far, but does it generate gtk+
2.0/2.2 code?

Yes, version 1.x.x does.  Latest is 1.1.3:

http://glade.gnome.org/download.html

As far as *code* generation, I'd avoid it and use libglade instead:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/libglade/libglade.html

Do any of my software choices (Anjuta, glade, GNU auto*) or library
dependencies (gtk+ 2.0, gnome2 [?], libglade [?]) limit my ability to write
a portable/localizable program?

Gtk does run under win32.  You can get a win32 runtime environment here:

http://www.dropline.net/jade/download.html

(look for "The GTK+ Runtime Environment").  I tested this and was tickled to
find that I could run a gtk2 program (a python gtk program no less) under
win XP.

I don't believe Gnome runs under win32, or at least not easily, so you
probably want to make any Gnome dependencies easy to leave out of a build.
That's probably a good idea in general.

However if you're really serious about win32 compatibility, you may want to
consider something like wxWindows instead, though that is C++ based.

Dave Cook