Re: A batch of newbie questions.

On Thu, 02 Jan 2003 22:06:27 +0000
<tint14 hotmail com> wrote:

I have an idea for a graphical app I'd like to write. It's a frontend for
another piece of free software called vcdimager, which currently lacks an
OSS FE that fully exposes all of its capabilities. Several other apps, good
and bad, have given me a ideas for the UI and I have a few napkin sketches.
They're in the process of being refined, but before I jump into writing code
I have a few technical and non-technical questions that I'd like to pose to
experienced developers.

---------------------------------
Here are the questions:

I really like glade from what I've seen so far, but does it generate gtk+
2.0/2.2 code?

Version 1.1.3 does. See http://glade.gnome.org/download.html

I tried out the Anjuta IDE and at first glance it seems adequate for my
purposes. It has presets for gtk+ projects so that's a plus. However, when I
start a new project, it generates makefiles, configure scripts, and other
things that I'm not yet familiar enough with GNU auto* to identify. Glade
does this as well. Does that mean they won't play nicely together (e.g.
overwrite each other's files)?

Don't know Anjuta, so I can't help you there. Personally, I tink that auto* is
kind of overkill on Linux.

Anjuta has presets for gtk+ projects. It also has presets for gnome 2.0
projects and "libglade 2.0" projects. What is the difference between a gtk+
project, a gnome 2.0 project, and a "libglade 2.0" project? Are they
mutually exclusive?

Gnome is GTK+ _and_ the gnome libraries. Libglade is a library for creating
the UI for your program at runtime from an XML file generated by glade. See
http://www.daa.com.au/~james/gnome/

Just from playing around with glade, it seems that writing a "gnome" app
means writing a gtk+ app that uses any number of gnome-specific components.
Is this correct?

Yes.

Do any of my software choices (Anjuta, glade, GNU auto*) or library
dependencies (gtk+ 2.0, gnome2 [?], libglade [?]) limit my ability to write
a portable/localizable program?

They should work on must Unix-like systems, There are also ports to Windows for
Emacs and the GTK+ stuff. Don't know about autotools or Anjuta, though.

I've downloaded and read the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines. Is there
anything else along that line that I should read before getting started? Is
there anything else I should read in general?

UI design and usability is something most coders (myself included) aren't
familiar with, I think. Build your app so that it looks logical to you, and see
what your users are saying.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Use gettext(3) for i18n.

HTH, Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email