Re: displaying a multilanguage file

john vivian <viv veeev com> writes:

      Sorry for the repost.  Hoping that someone can still help me.
      Again, i am trying to load a file with several multibyte
      characters into a textbuffer, and failing miserably.  Any help
      would be most appreciated.

Do you know what kind of multibyte characters there are in your file?
I believe you must decide on that in order to convert it to utf-8.

If you don't know, you must at least tell us what you know. Can you
provide some examples of those multibyte characters? Perhaps we can
guess what it is.

If you get the text from a mail, usually the mail contains a header
line saying how it is encoded, look for "Content-Transfer-Encoding:
blahblah" and Content-Type: blah/blah. Usually the mail user agent
(you mail reading application) will undo the "transfer encoding", and
then the Content-Type is what applies. If it is

then your text is not multibyte, but it will still not be utf-8, and
it will need a conversion.

If you get the file from the web, there are similar headers.

Regards, Enrique