RE: shell_notifyicon question

Basically, you have a module of your code which does the system tray bit on
windows OR linux.  You would call some generic function to set up and do
particular tray functions (i.e. load, unload, change icon, etc) and these
would call operating system specific functions.  These functions would be
declared between compiler definitions to make sure when on Linux or Windows,
the app still compiles, e.g.:

        tray_load()
                os_tray_load()

#ifdef WIN32
        os_tray_load()
        {
                shellnotify(...)
        }
#else
        os_tray_load()
        {
                gtk....
        }
#endif

If you want to write a similar thing under Linux, it would depend on the
Window manager you are using.  As I have no experience of anything other
than Gnome, all I can say is that perhaps you should look at panel
applications e.g. the GDict panel app.

I have attempted doing a SIMPLE panel app myself before, and found it quite
difficult - plus the documentation (I feel) is a little poor, unless it has
been improved recently.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Martyn.