GtkTextBuffer and the insert-text signal

Hello. I am porting an application from GTK+ 1 to GTK+ 2. Of course, one of the big issues is changing from GtkText to GtkTextView. Unfortunately, I am having a problem with the "insert-text" signal. In particular, it seems that some of the parameters to my callback function are getting garbled along the way.

I register the callback using g_signal_connect (or g_signal_connect_after -- both give same results) with the following prototype:

void function (GtkTextBuffer *Buffer, GtkTextIter start, gchar *text, gint size, gpointer data);

When it gets called, the GtkTextBuffer pointer is fine, as is the user data. Unfortunately, the string, length, and iter are all garbage. I can't determine why this is happening. No other callbacks are registered that alter the GtkTextBuffer in any way (that I can find).

What are the possible reasons the parameters could be awry? Am I changing the text before the callback is called? Am I using some API call wrong?

This is with GTK+ 2.2.1.

Thanks for any help.

-Mike