g_string question

Hello,

        I have a call in program to g_string_new_new(strptr, len).  My question
is:  Does this create a new GString and then copy len bytes from strptr,
or does it just create a new GString struct an assign the "str" pointer
to point to strptr?  If it is the former, is there some way to do the
latter?  I am dealing with rather large strings in my program, and I
believe that my program might be experiencing a significant slowdown
because of all the copying that may be occuring.

Thanks
--
Ronald Roth <rroth uiuc edu>