Re: TOTALLY OFF TOPIC: 24-bit-per-pixel limit to Gdk RGB ?

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 07:02 PM, TORRI Vincent wrote:

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, individual wrote:

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 12:06 PM, TORRI Vincent wrote:

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/machband.htm

One thing about this link : the fact presented at this link looks like
the
Gibbs phenomenum in the Fourier analysis. Quite interesting, as we can
consider that the eye make a Fourier transform, according to some
papers
(the eye detects the wavelength (or the frequencies, as you want) of
the
colors)

I seriously doubt it. The Gibbs "overshoot" appears in the frequency
domain, not in the spatial domain, which the lower graph represents.

Well ? I don't think so : if you take one 1-periodic funtion which is NOT continuous (called f), f(k) its kth Fourier coefficient and Fn(x) the sum
over k=-n to n, of f(k)exp(2iPikx), and if you display Fn, you will see
the Gibbs phenomenum (L infty norm of f < a constant < L infty norm of
Fn).
  Take f(x)=0 for x in [0;0.5[ and f(x)=1 for x=0.5;1] (which is almost
the function drawn in the page below) and draw Fn (n=50 for example). I
will look (a bit of course) like that.If you take f as the black function,
and do the same computations, you draw Fn and you remark that Fn goes
upper and lower than f (even if there is no Gibbs phenomenum in this
case).

Yes, you are right.

  My previous post was just a remark : the red curve let me think about
the gibbs phenomenum. I don't know any link between Gibbs phenomenum and
the mach bands.

Ah, I see. In any case, I don't see how there could be a link, because the eye/brain does not do a Fourier transform of the light (to percieve the light's frequency), it only samples it at 3 electromagnetic frequencies. One could argue that there *is* a fourier transform going on inside the eye, but it has to do with the lens system. Anyway, you probably know all of this so I'll shut up now :-)

Paul