Re: 24 bit-per-pixel thread

On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 02:34 PM, Juan Pablo wrote:
So i do not recomend using a jpg to store cientific data, instead BMP is so basic that there is no way to loose data (tiff can be saved as jpeg:)

Yes, this whole initiative started last year with my use of the PNG format, which implements lossless compression. I was trying to make plotting 2D data as easy as it is in BASIC, while at the same time trying to make the images the storage for the simulation/scientific data itself.

So i recommend you to use all the bits you want per pixel in an internal
data structure (array) and then shift to 8bpp to display it :)

And that's what I've decided to do, thanks to the generous help of this mailing list!

Paul