Re: OFF TOPIC: 24-bit-per-pixel limit to Gdk RGB ?

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, TORRI Vincent wrote:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/rodcone.html

another one :

http://www.photo.net/photo/edscott/vis00010.htm

Still couldn't find the reference I was looking for.  Maybe I just didn't
look hard enough.  The story is that somebody was experimenting with
extremely high-quality printing devices in some research institution which
I think was the research branch of a big US company.  Just as a lark they
printed words with an extremely small intensity difference between the
words themselves and the background.  They were extremely surprised that
it turned out to be easily readable.  Then they did it again under more
controlled conditions and wrote a paper about it.  I know that it is
referenced in Gleitman's introductory text book on Psychology.  Maybe
somebody can help me find it...?

I also didn't find any mention in the above links of the edge detection
circuitry in the eyes that is responsible for Mach banding.

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/machband.htm

-Peter

"Of course, I'm not unbiased, but in my humble opinion, I've
  gotten close to something that I can be really proud of."
 -- Knuth on The Art of Computer Programming.