Re: xgettext and gtk2: UTF-8 issues

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 09:22:01PM +0100, Olivier wrote:

since gtk2 all my sourcefiles are in UTF-8. I recently upgraded xgettext,
and now xgettext complains that my sourcefiles have UTF-8... it sais the
source should be in ASCII, but that would reduce the functionality quite a
bit.

How do I make xgettext accept the UTF-8 input files?

Strings to be translated are supposed to be in ASCII - I believe the
reason is that .po files are in the encoding that the translator is
translating into, and if the source strings are not ASCII they may be
invalid in the .po file encoding.

I can't imagine xgettext cares about source that *isn't* a string
marked for translation.

Anyway, for details you might have better luck on gettext mailing
lists than the gtk mailing list.

Havoc