Re: don't understand, memory leak or memory pools??

On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 09:16:57 +0100 (MET)
Peter Finderup Lund <firefly diku dk> wrote:

On Sat, 8 Feb 2003, Olivier wrote:

is there indeed some memory management in gtk that keeps memory around in
pools? Can I make gtk free some of that memory? keeping the memory for
3000 TextView-widgets around is not very useful..

It's standard Unix/Linux implementation practice for malloc you are
complaining about.
google for Doug Lea malloc and read the explanations.

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/html/malloc.html

thanks for the link, quite technical stuff, I don't understand it
completely.. What I make up from the story is that malloc() keeps a cache
around. But I did the same tests under high memory load (disabled the
swap, and made sure the machine was quite out-of-memory, processes got
killed) and I guess that should have impact on the caching? Or did I
understand things wrongly?

thanks,
        Olivier
--