Re: How to replace MFC with UI on Linux

"shivendra" <shivendra stigp com> wrote:

My project's back end (libraries )has been developed using
MFCAppWizard(dll) containing massive coding on Image
Processing.Presently we have no enough time to (re)write the entire
library for gcc compatible(core C\C++). Does wxWindows allow  to use
MFC libraries for Linux OS? If changes are required then what and how
much? Please give me suitable direction to start my work. Thanking u
in advance.

To my knowledge there is no way to keep MFC calls of your application if
you want to port it to anything else but MS-Windows. MFC is absolutely
Microsoft-specific. Microsoft is not interested in supporting Unix at
all. I haven't heard of emulation libraries (like Wine for the Windows
OS) as yet. There might be copyright issues of the API, preventing it
to become emulated in Unix. So if you want to keep the MFC dependancy of
your application you're probably stuck. This seems to be the situation
when bad (=platform specific) software design gets back at you.

The only way to execute it in Unix will probably be via Wine then, using
the original Windows binaries of the application. This is of course
somewhat poor and you won't be able to honestly tell people that you
have a Unix version of your application.

However, rewriting your application to use wxWindows is apparently the
way which requires least effort to make it portable. Encouraging pages
for this are:

http://www.anthemion.co.uk/mfc2wx.htm
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-mfc/

In short again: if you want to stay with MFC at all costs you're stuck
at MS Windows!