Re: GTK+ or Qt

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 09:05, Roland Smith wrote:
I hope you have cleanly separated the GUI from the vision backend? In that
case it doesn't matter very much what GUI toolkit you use. Qt might be
conceptually closer to MFC than GTK+.

The closest toolkit to MFC (at least in how the GUI works with message
maps and so forth) is wxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org).  The nice
thing about wxWindows would be that wxWindows builds native exes (native
UI too) on windows and linux.

If your GUI code is cleanly separated from your backend code, as should
be the case if it was done the right way, then any linux gui toolkit
should do the job for you.  I happen to like GTKmm the best, myself.

If the vision backend is also written with MFC, your facing a problem (and
it's called vendor lock-in), because AFAIK, there is no MFC port to Linux. I
think your best option is to (re)write the backend in C, because it's more
portable.

/me shudders at the thought of writing a whole processing library using
MFC as the framework.

I'm immensely grateful to the Free Software Foundation for providing
such an extensible and portable compiler system.  If you write your
library code with the intent that it will build under gcc, then you can
produce shared libraries (dlls on windows) using the exact same source
code base on Windows (using the mingw32 gcc compiler) or any platform
that gcc has been ported too.  It's awesome.

Michael

Linux has shared libraries, equivalent to DLLs.

Roland
--
Michael L Torrie <torriem chem byu edu>