Re: Embedding window within window

"Shrinivas Kulkarni" wrote:

I thought of using GtkSocket/Plug for this purpose. But these seems to
be X11 specific. Are they not supported on Windows Platform. If "yes"
can anyone point me to example of using it on Windows.

The specific problem I have is I want to display VTK in GTK and also
few controls in the same window. But since VTK needs a TOP LEVEL GTK
window, I am not able to add other controls in the same window
according to layout.

Please note that I am doing it for Windows Platform.

WiW (windows in windows) is (unfortunately) not supported by GTK+. There
is an ongoing discussion between some programmers (and users) requesting
this feature in GTK+ and some other programmers (closer to GTK+
development) who keep telling this would be a bad, unneeded and not
user-friendly feature and one should stop requesting it. However, see:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2003-November/msg00113.html

I haven't been working with VTK and thus I am lacking further knowledge
but I'm afraid your chances are limited. Note which TK is missing in the
technical overview at http://public.kitware.com/VTK/what-is-vtk.php

"Integrates seamlessly with a variety of windowing systems including Qt,
FLTK, wxWindows, Tcl/Tk, Python/Tk, Java, X11, Motif, Windows, Cocoa and
CARBON."