Gtk beginner doubts....................

Hi,
Iam new to Gtk+. I have selected GTk+ for my project. Before i proceed with reading documents, I expect some points to be cleared.

In my application i draw a stack of rectangles, one above another, by
reading the co-ordinates from a text file. After displaying the
rectangles, I have to provide editing operations like moving, resizing,
zooming, etc., on them.

I have enough knowledge in tool kits (like tcl/tk, python/tkinter). In most of all tool kits the drawing area is called as "Canvas" which is a special window used for drawing items like circle,rectangles,
lines, etc.,. Is there any canvas in Gtk?

In other tool kits, when an item is drawn on the canvas, it returns an Id, which could be used for further selection of the item. Apart from that, users can also give their own "Id" or "tag" to an item. Is
that mechanism is adopted in Gtk?

  Is Gtk+ is platform independent?

  Thanx for any comments.

Meet your old school or college friends from
1 Million + database...
Click here to reunite www.batchmates.com/rediff.asp