GLdrawing Area Questions...

G'Day !

First I want to thank everyone who responded to my last question on
gpointer's, I think I know exactly what to do now.  Now off to the
coding ...

Now I have a question about OpenGL drawing areas ...

My current code uses a switch statement in the button_press,
button_release and motion_notify events based on the status of the
current menu item.  This worked well when using only a couple of
drawing primatives, but as I implement new features, my switch
statements are getting out of control.

I want to do everything in the menu_response function, but am not sure
how to impliment.  I guess my first question is does program control
return to the menu_function after an event in the drawing area ?
Some experiments I have done suggest control is not always sent back to
the menu_response function.

For example the user selects a menu item to draw a point.  Then clicks
on the drawing area to establish the location of the first vertex, then
move the cursor to a new location and clicks the mouse to establish the
second vertex.  I want the menu_response function to handle the
backgroud processing once the vertex locations are established.

Thanks for any help you can give me.  Example code or reference would
be great. I have looked around a bit, but could not find what I was looking for.

cheers,
Jim parker