Re: gtk is grabbing my input, how do I stop it...

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:09:34AM -0400, Al Amaral wrote:
Because ultimately I want to be able to swap out the GUI with others
and doing something like that would make the code more dependent on GTK,
not less...

There are lots of reasonably working ways of abstracting which toolkit
is used, but this one doesn't sound like one I'd choose.

The window I draw into is irrelevent.  It's the events on my window
that I need to get processed properly, i.e. sent to my window, as
opposed to being processed by GTK.

GTK needs the events in order to work. Like I said, you're going to be
digging into some scary GTK internals to sort this out.

This is very easy to do in Motif...

Motif is designed to be mixed with Xlib. GTK is a cross-platform
toolkit that's much higher level and hides Xlib entirely.

What about if I catch the enter-notify and focus signals on the drawing
window, and when I'm in it do an ungrab in GTK?  Why is GTK grabbing the
input devices anyway?  Doesn't make sense, and makes what I want to do
very difficult if not impossible.

You will have to go into GDK/GTK and sort this out. We don't know
enough about the details of your app.

What about Metacity makes you think it might help?  I'm not at
all familiar with the code or it's design, so I don't know what I'd
be looking for.

metacity mixes Xlib and GTK, processing the X events itself then
handing them off to GTK.

Havoc