Re: Running an exe .............

Tor Lillqvist wrote:

Well, you cannot distribute just the exe. You have to distribute all
the dependencies, too.

Unfortunately there isn't any generally agreed upon package
distribution format/method for Windows. (Like rpm, dpkg on Linux,
pkginstall on Solaris, etc.)

There also aren't any generally agreed canonical Windows binary
distributions for common low-level libraries like libpng, zlib
etc. This means that you really cannot be sure whether a machine
already has some of them installed or not, and what version it might
be. I.e. the risk for DLL hell is always there, especially if
misguided installers have installed stuff in the Windows system
directory.

I can only agree on this. In order to distribute my application in a form that allows it to run on Windows systems that don't have GTK+ installed, i simply started my application on such a system, looked at the errors for what .dll files it reported as missing, and just added those .dll's to the application directory.

I continued this until i got no more errors... this might not have been the fastest way to see which .dll's had to be shipped with the application, but it worked for me.

HTH,
Bart

--
Bart Vandewoestyne                    Bart.Vandewoestyne_at_pandora.be
Hugo Verrieststraat 48                         GSM: +32 (0)478 397 697