Steps to support japanese in GTK 2.0

Hi All,
I am new to GTK. I want to enter and display Japanese
characters in GTK. I don't know what are the packages
required for this support.
Could anybody help me answering the following
questions:-
1. Where to support the fonts...at kernel level or GTK

   level.(I Linux)
2. Do I need to install packages in Linux to support
Japanese?
3. How to map english keyboard to support different
languages.

Some questions might not be related to GTK but
somebody who has supported japanese in GTK might know
the answers.

Thanks in advacne.

Regards,
Ramdhan Singh