Re: return value checking for GTK APIs

Yeah, that pretty much shoked me too.
        Personally I still check my return values
but I think that the memory allocations call "abort()"
when they dont succeed. (I didn't see the code myself
but I heard it through the grapevine).

        Anyway this doesn't mean that functions
are garaunteed to never return NULL. for instance;
if you call a function that creates a new object
and pass it some invalid arguments it should return
NULL. you'll notince in the code most functions
inside objects will start with the following macros:

g_return_if_fail((arg != NULL));
        _or_
g_return_val_if_fail((arg != NULL), NULL);

which by the way will cause a program to exit()
_IF_ your application is compiled in DEBUG.

Hope I saved you some troubble,
        -Tristan

brahmaiah vallabhaneni wrote:

Hi All,
 I am new to Linux GUI programming and started going
 through the tutorial.

 But I have observed one strange coding style (to me).
 Usually, when we call a function say malloc, we
 always validate the return value before it's use.

 But in GTK samples, they do n't check the return
 value of APIs. Any specific reason ?

 Is it always guranteed that these APIs succeed ?

 Pls tell me if I am missing some thing....

Thanks and Regards,

V.Brahmaiah