Drawing text at an arbitrary angle

Hi.

A quick question: is it possible to draw text at an arbitrary
angle using pango/gtk2? My efforts to find an answer through
searching the web proved unsuccessful. A look at the GTK/Pango
code suggest that it is not possible - all text is drawn either
horizontally or vertically. What I'm looking to do is draw
text along an arbitrarily angled line (i.e. 30 degrees).

If it is possible, a reference to some sample code would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Art Haas
deserve neither liberty nor safety.
 -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759