selection/clipboard?

How can I copy a bit of text into the X clipboard?  I could display a
simple dialog box with the text in an entry and a button to trigger
the copy.  But the text is completely obvious from other information
on the screen, so this is a round-about way from users' viewpoint.  I
would rather do it programatically.

Reading the stuff in gtkselection.c, I am discouraged.

--
Ian Zimmerman, Oakland, California, U.S.A.
GPG: 433BA087  9C0F 194F 203A 63F7 B1B8  6E5A 8CA3 27DB 433B A087