verticalbar/horizontalbar does not work

I created a gtktable(3x3) and attached three sections in, they are top,
left and right.
-gtktable
  - vbox(top section)
    - eventbox
      - scrolledwindow
        - gtklayout ( and other widgets inside this layout )
    - gtkruler(as a resizing handle bar)
  - hbox(left section)
    ...( same as top section)
  - hbox(right section)
    ...(same as top section)

   |                      |                                      |
   |                      |                                      |
   |                      |                                      |
   |                      |                                      |

I use the gtkruker as a resizing handle bar and use
"motion_notify_event", "button_release_event" and "button_press_event"
to handle the resizing of each section( by calling:
gtk_widget_set_usize()). It works, I can resize any of the sections
mentioned above. However, I got two problems:

1. While I was changing the value on the horizontal bar and vertical
bar, the contents did not scroll!!!( I am using the Win32 version of
GTK+1.3) But it scrolls if I run it under linux!!!
2. When I dragged the handle bar of the bottom section to the right edge
of the screen, the vertical bar of the top section was put also pushed
to the right untill it disapeared on the screen.

Could somebody point out something I need to check with please? I think
may be I should trigger the gtktable's event loop to let it do something
when I resize the widgt attached to it, but I don't know how.

Thanks!

Yanxin