"Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING"

Hi folks,

I'm trying to put a minimal install of Linux that includes GTK 2.0 together.
At this point, I have everything working.  Text comes up looking right, all
the fonts are available, and I'm good.

However, when I run a GTK program, I get the error mesages

(hmigtk:59): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Could
not open converter from 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1': No such file or directory
(hmigtk:59): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING:
Conversion from characater set 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported.

Now, I built the entire system from scratch, so I'm missing a few things,
probably some locales and LANG defines.  Could anyone give me a hint as to
what files I should be looking at putting on this system?

Thanks!

Alex Pavloff - apavloff eason com
Eason Technology -- www.eason.com