GdkImage->bpp field [GDK-1.2]

Hi,

In the docs for gdk-1.2 the bpp field in the GdkImage structure is claimed to represent the number of bytes
per pixel.
I'm developing an app running on both Windows and Linux. On windows the statement above is true. I use a 24
bit color mode and the bpp field is set to 3. On Linux this is not the case. Instead I get bpp = 32 (using a
display with depth 24 and bpp (BITS per pixel) 32).

Has anyone experienced the same problem, or am I just misunderstanding the whole thing.

/Christian