Clearing drawing area window to blue

During program startup (before calling gtk_main) I need to set my entire
drawing area window to a fixed color (blue).  Using information provided
by the helpful people here I'm able to set it to white or black, but now
I'm stuck.  White or black are simple, just using

gdk_draw_rectangle (pixmap,drawingarea1->style->white_gc,...);

followd by

gdk_draw_pixmap (drawingarea1->window,drawingarea1->style->bg_gc[...]...);

My problem comes with initializing a graphics context to blue.  I've put a
cut-down version of my main.c at

  http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/temp/main.c

for your examination.  Would some kind soul tell me where I've gone
astray, and what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks,

Bryan

* Bryan Brown      <*>              bbrown radix net
* http://www.radix.net/~bbrown