Re: GTK2:combobox

TORRI Vincent <Vincent Torri math u-bordeaux fr> writes:

  thanks to a previous post, I search for some doc about the GktCombo
widget in the API. One of the two examples shows how to create complex
items (in this case, an arrow followed by a label. I would also like to
mention that there is a little mistake : pixmap should be replaced by
arrow in this example).

If you fine bugs in the docs, please file a bug report. (Details
in the GTK+ README.)

  The example uses deprecated functions/widgets : the GtkList and their
associated functions.
  So I would like to know if there is a way to make complex items without
using the GtkList widgets (I think it is not possible, because, in the
source of the GtkCombo widget, GtkList are used explicitely) and/or if I
could use GtkCombo widgets without problems of compatibility with
future versions of Gtk+.

We aren't in a big hurry to remove deprecated widgets from GTK+.
GtkList will certainly be there for a couple of more years.

In GTK+-2.0 (and GTK+-2.2 as well) there is no alternative for doing
complex combo items then to use GtkList, other than using an entirely
different widget, such as the combo widgets in libgal. A new
set of combo widgets are planned for GTK+-2.4.

You should, however, balance:

 - How important it is to do your interface in exactly this way

with:

 - How much effort it will take to create the interface

Usually there are lots of alternative ways to design an interface,
and sometimes keeping things plain and simple is best.

Regards,
                                        Owen