Newbie Question: g_signal_*

Clearly I'm missing something with the gobject signalling mechanism.

In the documentation, *all* the gtk_signal_* functions have a note
saying:
        gtk_signal_* is deprecated and should not be used in
        newly-written code.

which is not very useful as it doesn't say what *should* be used
instead.   I'm guessing that I should use g_signal_*

However when I look at g_signal_connect , the callback function has a
signature of

          void GCallback (void);

which is not much use if I want to actually do something when I catch
the signal.  How do I get the data associated with the signal? And how
do I determine which object emitted the signal?

Thanks for your help.

J'
--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3