tree view: icons disappear when setting background [try 2]

(Sent again to keep message size under maximum list post size.)

I have a column with two cell renderers in it: a pixbuf and text.

The text happens to be colorizable (hey, I'm just matching the system
I'm supporting; I didn't design it!) and when I try to colorize it I get
a weird problem:

The data function callback for the text *should* look like this:
    g_object_set(cell,
                "text", friend->username,
                "foreground-gdk", &fg,
                "background-gdk", &bg,
                NULL);
but when I set the background-gdk property, the pixbufs disappear.

The data function callback for the pixbuf sets the pixbuf like this:
        g_object_set(cell, "pixbuf", [...], NULL);

Here are two screenshots.
All of the entries are intended to have a foreground color of black and
a background of white, with the exception of "innertiger" which is red
on gray.

In this first one, I commented out setting the background-gdk property,
and as you can see, the text color sets and the icons are still visible.
        http://www.speakeasy.net/~martine/nobg.png

This screenshot has the background-gdk property set, so the cell
colorizes properly, but then the pixbufs disappear.
        http://www.speakeasy.net/~martine/withbg.png

Am I doing anything obviously wrong here?

--
      Evan Martin
martine cs washington edu

----- End forwarded message -----