Re: problem with linking

Jakub Lukomski <qba best net pl> writes:

hi. at some point i decided to try programming in GTK+, however i've
got a problem when trying to link my program.
i get an error:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../libpangoxft-1.0.so:
undefined reference to `FT_Get_Next_Char'
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/../../../libpangoxft-1.0.so:
undefined reference to `FT_Get_First_Char'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

i use the include libraries returned by the pkg-config program. when i
enter "gtk+" as a package it links, however even the "Hello World"
program from GTK documentation raises some undefined symbol errors,
however if i use "gtk+-2.0" it compiles good, however there is the
linking error.

what might be the problem?

i've got Red Hat Linux 7.2, i installed the pango libs from RPM.

The Pango RPMS on ftp.gtk.org are built against FreeType-2.0.9;
you need to get the FreeType RPMS in the same place.

(Looks like I forgot to add an explicit dependency into the RPM
to enforce having the FreeType RPMS installed.)

Regards,
                                        Owen

[
Another possibility is that you have a second, older installation of
FreeType on your system not installed from RPM, and the linker is
finding that instead of FreeType-2.0.9; I'd guess that you just
need to install the FreeType RPMS though.
]