The Right Way To Resize Images?

I'm displaying GtkImages in a GtkScrolledWindow, but sometimes I want to
resize an image so that it fits in the viewable area of the
GtkScrolledWindow.  I can resize images fine using GdkPixbuf routines, but
I can't figure out what the viewable area of a GtkScrolledWindow is.  In
fact, I can't determine the size of any widgets except GtkWindow (which
GtkScrolledWindow doesn't inherit from).

It seems like get_size() should be a base method on GtkWidget?  Am
I missing something?

Also, I can't seem to force a GtkTreeView repaint.  If I update a
GtkListStore, the GtkTreeView/GtkTreeViewColumn doesn't seem to notice
until it normally repaints (like when it receives a mouseover event, etc).

Thanks,

- Mike

--
http://www.thoughtcrime.org