Re: Iconifying windows

"Dr. Peter Rottengatter" <peter rottengatter de> writes:
Fine, if it (window maker) did. But it doesn't. I might not have asked this in the
first place if I hadn't observed many other apps providing an iconify to "secondary"
windows. Sylpheed is a GTK+ program doing it, the "Message View" (double-click on the
message opens it), the "Compose" and "Reply" functions all open windows with an
iconify button. Then, on the other hand, you're talking dialogs, where this makes
sense. At least with Glade terminology, most of my windows aren't dialogs.

The way a window manager will traditionally decide a window is a
dialog is by seeing if you've set the window's parent with
gtk_window_set_transient_for(). You should _always_ be setting the
transient parent though, not setting it just to allow iconification is
sort of a bad thing since you lose other features such as keeping the
dialog on top of its parent window.

Anyway, not something you should fix in your app, just a window
manager feature/misfeature that might affect your choice of WM.

As it is not consistent, it obviously is not a WM issue.

Are you sure Sylpheed sets the transient parent on its dialogs?

As an aside, with GTK 2 and newer window managers, GtkDialog gets
marked as a dialog regardless of the transient parent setting.

The right thing to do is to provide the window manager with maximum
information about a window's type and its relation to other windows,
and then choose a window manager that handles things the way you want.

Havoc