Window icon and modified fileselection

I remember having read something about a straightforward way in GTK to set an icon to
be used by the window manager for minimised windows. I only found gdk_window_set_icon
when I looked for it recently. Is there any nicer way ?

Also I found out how to add custom widgets in the FileSelection widget just above the
selection line. Now I want to use that as a kind of "preview", i.e. insert a GtkLabel
that gives some idea what's in the file. This means I have to update that label every
time the user selects another file. Is there a way to register a callback on the user
selecting a file in the list above ?

Cheers  Peter
      Dr. Peter Rottengatter       peter rottengatter de
                                   http://www.rottengatter.de