GTK program with no window & how to lose mouse cursor

Havoc, (I think this got lost when I originally sent it)
Thanks for the reply relating to items below on running on GTK/touchscreen
A couple of questions if I may...

I tried the programs with no window, as recommended, and this seems more the
ticket for my purpose. However, I don't seem to be able to get to flat X from
the gui login, the latter sort of necessary for pure touch operation and, I
think, the only way into pucker LTSP operation, my next step.  Any
suggestions?
Also, re pixmap/mask to lose the mouse cursor, where/how do I do this?
Many thanks
Tom
On Wednesday 27 Feb 2002 1:25 pm, you wrote:
 Tom Knowles <tom peters co uk> writes:
 > I'm using fvwm2 becuase it seemed to offer the leanest, least interfering
 > and most appropriate bed. I have tried the others, but without spending
 > unavailable time I've found nothing more suitable to this kind of
 > project.
***
 You could also try running with no window manager at all, though you
 probably need to add some calls to XSetInputFocus() to your code then
 to move the focus around.

 > 1. In general, is there a way of forcing a dialog or popup to remain
 > visible until responded to?
 > I've found that if a generic prompt/question is called, it is not really
 > feasible to say which window will be underneath it and that touching same
 > window, particularly the perimeter will cause that window to blot out the
 > prompt which, as it happens, may be a necessary in-line function. The
 > prompt is modal and thus, as far as the user is cocerned the app is
 > frozen.

 If you call gtk_window_set_transient_for() to make the dialog
 transient for the parent, many window managers will then keep the
 dialog on top of the parent. I can't say whether fvwm2 is such a WM.

 > I tried using popup rather than toplevel, which looks and performs more
 > appropriately, but, the popup seems transparent to desktop menu clicks
 > and, worse, on some macihine/OS configurations is completely inactive.

 POPUP means "ignore the window manager" in effect. So no frame on the
 window, window manager will not focus the window on click, etc.

 You could use POPUP but you'd need to do some of your own work, such
 as XSetInputFocus().
***
 > 2. Is it possible to lose the mouse cursor, it just gets in the way
 > !

 Set it to a 1x1 pixmap with a 1x1 mask that masks off the pixel. Then
 it will be invisible.

 (To lose it for the whole screen you usually need to set the cursor
 for the root window, after the window manager has already done so.)

 Havoc