Re: GTK or GTK-Gnome

Obviously if you can avoid Gnome calls then your users do not have to use
the Gnome desktop and your application can be used by a wider audience.
On the other hand, if you are programming specifically for the Gnome
desktop and a call does what you want, then go for it.

I think writing code that depends on the user's choice of window manager
is a very, very, very bad idea.  I won't touch KDE for that reason.

That said, I've never encountered anything in Gnome that required the
Gnome desktop.  My desktop is fvwm and I never have any trouble working
with gnome libraries.

(Actually, one exception:  the gnome help viewer, Nautilus, will launch
the gnome desktop if it's not already running.  This is a major pain
in the ass and completely unacceptable.  No application should *ever*
reset the user's preferred environment.)