Re: Glade extra code?

On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 16:22, Tristan Van Berkom wrote:

      If I can take this oportunity to say my word on
"Object Oriented Programming" I'll go C all the way. from what I've seen
in glib (g_type_new() / g_object_unref()) and what gtk has done with it
I thing its the most versitile way to do it. In this style of C you can
have "encapsulation", "inheritance", "metaclasses", "polymorphism" and
multiple inheritance is just a step away.

whatever.

In which way is it more versatile than C++?

If you want to do OO and you don't know neither C++ nor the gtk+ object
model, by all means go the C++ way, but keep care to not use advanced
features, because you can be 100% sure that you'll not understand them
right now.

Write what you understand and understand what you write.

IMO the point still holds even if you know the gtk object model ;)

Writing mostly C code with some C++ touches is perfectly reasonable.
Again there is no need to use features that you don't understand, but if
you want to create classes coming from a Java background (or from
whatever background, btw), it will take you as ~5 minutes to understand
the C++ way and several days (at least) to be comfortable with the gtk
way.

Cheers,

--
Joaquín Cuenca Abela