GtkTreeView and Family

I have a couple of questions about the GtkTreeView widget:

1) Can anyone suggest a way to implement columns whose widths stay in
fixed proportions e.g. 70%/20%/10% of the total width?  I've had some
luck getting the width from the allocation and using arithmetic and
setting fixed width sizing to size the columns myself, but I'm wondering
if there is a better way.  Plus, I can't seem to find the right signal
to connect to to handle a resize - nothing I try gets run (FWIW my
treeview is stuffed in a scrolledwindow).

2) I think I know how to do this but while I'm here I'll ask: How do you
set the alignment of the text in a column - not the label in the header
button, but the column data itself?

Thanks,
Jay