Re: WM standards

Many thanks for the replies regarding WM standards,
I will be looking carefully at them,

The Escape key seems a very unusual keybinding for this. I think either
F11 or F12 is more common; but I can't remember which or if that's with
a modifier.

It's F11 (which is also the shortcut that's tentatively listed in the
HIG).

What is HIG?

I will gladly change to F11, if that seems to be what people
is setting as a tentive standard. However, what is the rationale
for that? a full screen is a ver intimidating state, where
basically nothing is available: no menus, no root window, etc...
if you don't know how to come back, the solution is Ctr-Alt-Del...
so the shortcut should be highly intuitive... at least for me,
if I am in front of a full screen and I don't know how to leave,
I will try things as Ctr-C (which in my case pops up a confirmation
dialog to exit the program), Ctr-D, Escape, if I am really desperate,
I will try F1---F12, but not before ;-) are there good reasons to
not use Escape?

Still regarding my rant of yesterday, it goes like this:

Enlightenment: fullscreen mode works, even without set_decorations,
WINDOWID is defined, and my console mode works.

Window Maker and twm: fullscreen mode works only after
hiding, set_decorations and show again. Without
set_decorations everyting is hidden except the window bar.
WINDOWID is defined and my console mode works.

twm: fullscreen mode does not work, even after
hiding, set_decorations and show again (the window bar
is not hidden). Without set_decorations everyting is
hidden except the window bar. WINDOWID is defined and
my console mode works.

Gnome (Sawfish): fullscreen mode does not work, even after
hiding, set_decorations and show again (the window bar is not
hidden). Without set_decorations everyting is hidden except
the window bar. WINDOWID is defined but my console mode does
not work.

KDE (kwm): fullscreen mode does not work, even after
hiding, set_decorations and show again (the task
bar is not hidden). Without set_decorations everyting
is hidden except the window bar and the task bar.
WINDOWID is not defined so my console mode does
not work.

So it seems that Gnome is actually the environment
where my Gtk instructions are less honoured... ;-)
Kudos to Enlightenment, the only WM where everything
works 100% correct!

Carlos