using themes for my app?!

Hi,

because I'm a total newbie to (using) themes I have a few questions:
(but before this: I'm running SuSe Linux 7.2 with KDE 2.1.2)

Can I use gtk themes (as found on gtk.themes.org) on/in KDE and
apply them to my app via gtk_rc_parse() (even though I'm using
gtkmm - but that shouldn't matter)?

Do I need to have certain "other" libraries installed to get those
3rd party themes running with my app?

Is GTK+ basically Window System independent and if yes, why's
there such association with Gnome then?

Thanks for helping!!!

Michael.

http://www.gmx.net