where are the files?

What is the right, elegant, safe, etc...
way to indicate my app where actually are
the help files that the app should read
when the user asks for help?

Hardcoding the absolute file path, or just
a relative path doesn't look reasonable.
Setting an environment variable is fine,
say APP or APP_ROOT, but is it really
the best/only option? what other people do?

What about LSB, FHS, regarding this matter?
I definitely prefer to have everything, executables,
documentation, etc... in a single directory,
instead of spread all over the system, as
package managers tend to do. Any comments?

Carlos