Re: GTK+ Portability

You will probably need to do some minor fixing to GLib for
portability glitches on OS X, and you'll need to figure out a font
backend for Pango (current ones are pangox, pangoxft, pangoft2).

also pangowin32...

Also, what would be a good starting point? Another port project such
as DirectFB or Win32, or the straight code-base?

If you have a look at the Win32 backend, please note that right now,
the "gtk-1-3-win32-production" branch contains somewhat cleaner
gdk/win32 code. I am finishing up some major changes right now, and
work on that branch first, then will apply same changes to HEAD.

The X backend is the "master backend" that determines what the
semantics of functions should be. So knowing something about X would
help you.

I can second that. There are lots of areas in GDK and GTK+ where I
didn't get it working quite properly on Win32 until I sat down with
the Xlib manual and really read the small print what certain APIs are
eactly supposed to do, how events propagate, etc. Then I had to add
appropriate emulation into the Win32 GDK backend...

--tml