gtk2 flakyness

*finally realizes why he hasnt been getting list msgs and turns back
 on delivery - doh!*

I recently began rewriting my app, and figured this would be a good
time to start taking advantage of gtk2's new features. I dl'ed the
tarballs from the gtk site and compiled/installed them. My app
compiles & links ok, but when I run it I get a whole bunch of

Gtk-WARNING **: GModule initialization check failed: Gtk+ version
too new (minor mismatch)

and no window :(

Autoconf checks see the right libs, ldd verifies I am linking
against the new ones (in /usr/local/lib), and lsof even shows
all the loaded libs are the 1.3.14 ones. Am I missing something
obvious?

--
Slyder earendel org                  |  "Into the flood again...
Earendel / <insert here>             |   ...if I would, could you?"